Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Dreads

Greetings,

Bob Marley very briefly discusses dreadlocks with an interviewer and provides coherent and inspirational responses which in my opinion just makes sense.

My Dreads (Incomplete Version)

My dreads, my dreads, my dreads
The dreads that grow atop my head
Why do I grow my dreads?
I don't grow my dreads for fashion nor for beauty
I don't grow my dreads not even for a cutie
So why do I grow my dreads?
I grow my dreads as a symbol of my devotion to Ras Tafari
Haile Selassie I King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah
The divine revelation of I heart allowed the growing of I locks for the greater purpose of
Executing vital actions for the change of the adverse reality in which we live
You see my dreads signify strength, righteousness, courage, Nia, Kujichagulia
But of course judgement comes from many critics -- Professors, employers, friends, and family
"Have you wondered what others will think about you with that mess on your head...what about a job?"
Well I nuh business what the critics think because I know the only way to end the false realities of this society means transforming the norm of Western understanding and
philosophy into something good for all...

TO FOREVER BE CONTINUED AND REVISED

The concept of this poem was inspired while at the National Black Student Leadership Development Conference for an Open Mic. It was thought up and written 20 minutes before I had to actually perform. This is not the original poem, but the original poem since then has gone through several revisions. The brief excerpt above displays much of that revision. This poem isn't anything conventional, but it does illustrate everything I believe. The more extensive and complete version addresses many issues regarding several topics. These issues and topics will be disclosed in future blog postings. And maybe one day I will even release the poem in its entirety on "The Overstanding." Until next time...Blessings

Inspiration comes from InI...The Most High...JAH Rastafari


No comments:

Post a Comment